NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL VERSION WITH TRANSLATION

Saturday, March 13, 2010

90s Music Video Flashback

Green Day - "Time of Your Life"

"Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)", also called "Time of Your Life (Good Riddance)" or more commonly "Time of Your Life", is a popular song by the American rock band Green Day. Although written by lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong just after the release of the group's 1994 album Dookie, the song was not released until Green Day's third major-label album, Nimrod, in 1997, although an alternate version (with harder chords and stronger vocals) did appear as a B-side to the 1995 German import single for "Brain Stew/Jaded"

Billie Joe Armstrong in an interview in Guitar Legends magazine, May 2005:


"At the time I wrote Good Riddance, I was breaking up with a girl that was moving to Ecuador, and I was trying to be as understanding about it as I could. I wrote the song as kind of a bon voyage. I was trying not to be bitter, but I think it came out a little bit bitter anyway... I thought that calling the song "Time of Your Life" was just a little too level-headed for me, so I had to come up with something different"

On the album version, at the beginning, Billie Joe Armstrong makes a mistake (the 4th string of the open G chord is played instead of the 3rd), tries again, repeats the mistake, and in anger swears in a barely audible voice. This mistake was recorded on purpose and included in the song to provide comic relief, as it is considered one of their more serious songs.

1 comment:

VoteNovember2008 said...

Love Green Day and I love that song! VN8