NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL VERSION WITH TRANSLATION

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Our Biggest Medical Fear Realized: Woman Wakes During Surgery, Feels Every Knife Cut

We have all feared this happening for those of us who have 'gone under the knife' and for those of us we love. Now these fears are not so unrealistic as it once seemed...

An Australian woman says she will have nightmares for the rest of her life after a horrific operation gone wrong. During the ordeal, Rebecca Jones, 24, claims she woke up during abdominal surgery at a hospital in Alice Springs, located in Australia's Northern Territory. She could feel every cut of the surgeon's knife, but was unable to scream for help because the anesthesia had paralyzed her, the Centralian Advocate reports.

A study released in March of this year found that as many as 30,000 Americans wake during surgery each year . Jones said she woke up just as doctors at Alice Springs Hospital were about to start the full operation. She could not open her eyes, but could hear and feel everything.

"I was very aware of what was happening to me," she said. "I thought the doctors had woken me up because the surgery was over -- I quickly realized that was not the case.

"It first hit me when I tried to take a breath," she continued. "I couldn't move and started to panic. I could feel them cutting me open. I can't describe how it felt. I've never felt anything like it before."

The hospital's general manager Vicki Taylor said in a written statement that Jones was "awake" during surgery, but said the hospital was unaware of the pain she suffered.

Lisa

Centralian Advocate, News.com.au

No comments: